
I bought the first season of The X-Files on DVD back in May or June of this year. I’ve been missing The X-Files since it went off the air a few years ago. Now you can’t even find the repeats on cable. FX channel used to air the X-Files episodes all the time, like catching Seinfeld or Friends that seem to always be on TBS. I think TNT or another network air it at 5pm and 2am, how am I supposed to watch that? The X-Files has been out on DVD for some time, but at $80 for an entire season, that’s a bit much. Finally, this year The X-Files season episodes have been packaged at half that price. I recently picked up the second season as well, but still working my way through the first season. The summer is a good time of year to catch up on an old favorite since most of TV is repeats. It’s great to have the X-Files back by just popping in a DVD. One of the things I liked most about The X-Files is that each episode was like a short scifi-thriller-mystery movie. OK, so I liked Gillian Anderson too, I'm only human :~)

Does anyone recall back in 2001, there was a reality series that aired that summer on Fox called Murder in Small Town X? IMDB.com describes it as “an unscripted drama series in which 10 ordinary people compete to track down a fictional killer in a town filled with improvisational actors playing the suspects and witnesses.” I started watching and soon Lago got sucked in too. We watched every week as an investigator (contestant) was “murdered” (left the show). Yep, it was kind of hokey, but I liked the mystery. The fictional killer left bizarre clues to his identity and some of the crime scenes were a bit gruesome. At the end of each show, two investigators were selected to each go to a remote location alone at night to either discover a new clue or be "killed." I remember the final episode where two investigators were left and one discovered the killer's lair where he had all the "victims" propped up in chairs seated around a table. I don't remember who the killer was, anyone out there recall? I was really hoping they’d eventually bring it back for another season. Unfortunately, the show’s winner was a NYC fireman who died in the World Trade Center that September.

A few summers before 2001 was the Summer of Frank. I remember that summer; it was my first since leaving the Coast Guard. I started listening to a lot of Frank Sinatra and other Rat Packers, and I even borrowed a biography on tape of Frank from The Monkey. I guess it was all leading up to HBO’s premiere of “The Rat Pack” movie that summer. How was I to know that Sinatra's "Fly Me to the Moon" would eventually be the song I would sing to Lago on our first New Year's Eve together, and then be "our song" that we would dance to at our wedding. Kind of kooky, huh?
Comments