3 Geese, 2 Nights


Had a last minute trip to NYC for work a couple weeks ago. It was scheduled on Tuesday, and Jimmy Joe Pete and I flew up Wednesday night. JJP and I are working on the same project, hoping to launch our company's new web sites by Feb. 1.

Checked into the hotel and then went for drinks and dinner.

#1. Goose Island - Mild Winter Ale

We ate at Carmine's and kicked things off with a Goose Island - Mild Winter Ale. One reason to be excited about traveling to NYC is Goose Island is finally available there! Perhaps one day it will be available in even wider release.

Carmine's is know for its huge family-style Italian portions. We had the calamari for an appetizer -- I would have preferred the mussels, but the portions are so big you really have to decide on something you're going to share because you can't possibly finish it on your own.

Had the chicken marsala for the entree. It was served up on a platter that I think four people would have had a hard time finishing. After dinner had a couple beers at the Hard Rock before calling it a night.

#2. Goose Island - India Pale Ale

Our new offices in NYC are located in the Times Square area.

They used to be in the TW Center on Columbus Circle. There's a great spot in that building for drinks... The Stone Rose. It has an excellent view of Central Park and the people watching is very nice.

We spent a full day in a conference room overlooking the Hudson River and the New Jersey skyline training our folks on our new content management system.


After that it was time for beers and dinner.


JJP wanted to try the 5 Napkin Burger, but it was way too crowded upon arrival. We decided to venture across the street to the Mercury Bar for a few beers before heading back to try the infamous 5 Napkin later in the evening.

It was at the Mercury Bar that I enjoyed my very first Goose Island - India Pale Ale. It was very nice! While there, my ol' pal Dave emailed me a couple more photos that he dug up from the 1988 New Year's Eve party mentioned in my last post. Made my night, way too funny! FYI... Dave was enjoying a New Belgium - Fat Tire that evening.

After a couple of the IPA gems, we walked back over to the 5 Napkin and we were seated immediately.

#3. Goose Island - Honker's Ale

At the 5 Napkin, I went with the Original 5 Napkin burger...
"The name says it all. 10 oz fresh ground chuck, gruyere cheese, caramelized onions and rosemary aioli on a soft white roll. Way too juicy for one napkin. Or four."

JJP and I agreed, this may have been the best burger we've ever eaten.

I paired my burger with fries and the original Goose Island - Honker's Ale.

The next day snow not only threatened, it came down. The forecast was for it to snow in the morning, but then taper off in the afternoon. We had a late afternoon flight so figured if the weather held true to the forecast we'd be good to go. Turned out we were. Not only that, we only had a 15-minute delay at LaGuardia - I think that's a record!

- Salud!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Woodside Lounge

Summer Mix 2025

Summer Mix 2007