The Year I Woke Up

I'll always remember 2011 as the year I woke up.

My divorce was final in 2009 and I dated other women on and off since. Although I was looking to meet someone with whom I could share real feelings and a serious relationship, I never had more than casual relationships.

For awhile I wasn't sure if it was the fact that I didn't have chemistry with the women I dated, or that I wasn't ready yet... or maybe a little of both.

The closest I came to a serious relationship was with a woman who I felt very comfortable with and we became good friends. We had a lot in common and had great times together, but no matter how intimate our relationship became I didn't feel love for her. This grew difficult over time as I saw her growing closer and closer to me. Finally, I had to tell her how I felt. We tried to remain friends and still spend time together, but that didn't work.

While daily life went on and snowstorms became a regular occurrence in the early part of this year, I started to notice a woman at work. She was vibrant, full of life, smart, funny, loyal, and quite simply beautiful. I finally worked up the courage to ask her out only to learn she had a boyfriend.

Still, we became friends and I noticed I started to have feelings for her, the kind of feelings I hadn't felt in a long time. Unfortunately for me these feelings were one-sided, but nevertheless there they were. It became clear that I could feel love for someone again, and while it didn't work out with this woman I gained a good friend and a better understanding about myself. I realized I needed to be patient and that meeting the right woman takes time.

This realization felt like waking up from a long slumber, and while joyous this was only the first step. Like they say, "... if you're tired of the same old story, turn some pages."

Here's to 2012 and whatever lies ahead for us my friends in this great wide world.

- Salud!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Woodside Lounge

Summer Mix 2025

Summer Mix 2007