Summer Mix 2015 (Sunrise - Sunset - Midnight)
I went into this mix thinking only that "Ripple" by the Grateful Dead would be at/near the end, and "Fool for Love" by Lord Huron had this great opening that sounded like a sunrise. As I started to gather songs for the mix, I realized I had too many similar sounding songs. Mike, our one-time mix competitor, referred to them as "chugga-chugga" songs due to their beat.
When I traveled up north earlier this month, I heard songs that eventually found their way into the mix, and helped create a flow for the mix. One song in particular, "Rock & Roll" by The Velvet Underground came on while in a cab from a Phillies game back to the hotel. The cab driver cranked it up and asked us, "This is a good song, isn't it?" I responded "Yes" of course and sent myself an email reminder to include that song along with Tom Petty's "American Girl" and "Mother We Just Can't Get Enough" by New Radicals.
Speaking of the Tom Petty song, some of my favorite transitions in this mix are "You Can't Fight Love" by Mike Mattison to "American Girl" by Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, and the whole section from "Pressure Drop" to "Seven." In that section, one of my favorite new songs is Spoon's "Inside Out," which was released late last year. When I heard it I knew it had to be the "sunset" for my summer's day theme.
The transition from "Fool For Love" to "Steady" may seem like a jump, but it's meant to be just that. Perhaps Dave Matthews said it best when he introduced the song "Seven" to the audience in Atlantic City, "This song is a little bit, a tiny bit about f#ckin'... ," and there you have it the additional theme running through the mix, although not too subtle with two "Boom Boom" tracks, one "Bang Bang" and of course "Let's Get It On," but who's counting. - Salud!
Summer Mix 2015
(Sunrise - Sunset - Midnight)
Morning:
Fool for Love - Lord Huron (2015)
Steady - The London Souls (2015)
Mother We Just Can't Get Enough - New Radicals (1998)
What You Need - INXS (1986)
Can I Steal a Little Love? - Frank Sinatra (1956)
Jackie and Wilson - Hozier (2014)
You Can't Fight Love - Mike Mattison (2014)
American Girl - Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers (1977)
The Wind - Cat Stevens (1971)
Afternoon:
Boom Boom - Sister Sparrow and the Dirty Birds (2010)
Rock & Roll - The Velvet Underground (1970)
Cold Beverage - G. Love & Special Sauce (1994)
Rockaway Beach - The Ramones (1977)
Some Kinda Love - Nude Beach (2012)
Way Down Now - World Party (1990)
I Will Dare - The Replacements (1984)
Never Coming Down - Guster (2015)
Bang Bang - David Sanborn (1992)
Pressure Drop (Live) - Gov't Mule featuring Toots Hibbert (2015)
Sunset / Early Evening:
Let's Get It On - Marvin Gaye (1973)
Inside Out - Spoon (2014)
I Hear Ya Talkin' (with Amos Lee) - Asleep At the Wheel (2015)
Seven (Live) - Dave Matthews Band (2011)
Night:
Get Down Tonight - K.C. & The Sunshine Band (1974)
Somebody Needs You (feat. Greg Dulli) - Lo Fidelity Allstars (2000)
Rock The Casbah - The Clash (1982)
Days Of Old - B.B. King & Eric Clapton (2000)
Slave - The Rolling Stones (1981)
Boom Boom - Big Head Todd & The Monsters (1997)
The Wolf - Mumford & Sons (2015)
Ripple - Grateful Dead (1970)
Lay Back Down - Eric Lindell (2008)
Midnight Lullaby - Tom Waits (1973)
This year's cover image was taken facing west at The Woodside QC on 7/1/2015.


Comments