Soul

The word "soul" has many meanings, but the one that resonates the most with me is genuine, or worded another way - the active or essential part. I find I look for the "real" or genuine qualities in many things... music, movies, writing and the design of things from houses to furniture, and most importantly in people.

While I'm sure I will live the rest of my days doing and saying dopey things from time to time, but I hope to continue knowing the difference between the genuine article and horseshit. One can only hope.

I like this quote below from a piece I wrote a while back. It reminds me to stay true to my beliefs, and to put another way as related to a timeless fable... If the emperor is nude, by all means tell everyone.

"Once those cinema-plexes popped up all over creation, shazam! There's this one little theater on the other side of town. It's got the big marquee, the lights, the infinity mirrors and varnished wood. Wood man, wood's got soul. That's the way movies used to be, not anymore. Now it's a wasteland. The lights on the marquee don't work, the seats are torn and the wood is black with layers and layers of varnish. Kids today, they don’t want heroes and dreams. They want video games, plastic bubble gum cartoons, who spout neon lines... And everything coated in Formica. Dang son, there's no soul in Formica."

The description of the old rundown theater was inspired by the State Theater in Easton, PA, well before it was restored as it stands today pictured above. As I've posted before... Things change, don't "unplug" but keep in tune with what's important in life and y'all be cool. - Salud!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Woodside Lounge

Summer Mix 2025

Summer Mix 2007