Summer Mix 2019
This year's summer mix spans 56 years with 25 tracks from 1963 to 2019, and touches every decade in between.
This year was all about the funk, old and new, and I was ready to put together a playlist of nothing but funk/R&B. But, then I thought... what I like most about mixes is the change up. So hopefully things aren't too watered down, but I think there's a good blend of tunes, and even a nod to the 50th anniversary of the "summer of love" with two tracks from 1969. Although I have to admit that was just a coincidence and not planned.
Something I did plan was using the Jason Mraz and Michael Franti tracks back to back. I've wanted to include them in a summer mix since they came out, but never had the right blend 'til now. It was also good to include one of my all-time favorite Dave Matthews' tracks "Captain." Something about that song always reminds me of summer.
Not as many new songs as I would have liked, and especially thin in that respect toward the end of the mix. Seem to be in a lull right now for good new music. I listen to some new music channels on Sirius XM, like The Spectrum, which blends new and old, and I honestly haven't heard a good new song on there since some time last year. Of course now that I've finished the mix, I'll probably hear a slew of new tunes. There's always next year.
This year's cover photo I took on May 7, 2019, during a stormy evening with lots of lightning flashing over the Lehigh River.
Hope you enjoy the mix - Salud!
Feels Like Summer - Childish Gambino (2018)
If It Feels Good (Then It Must Be) - Leon Bridges (2018)
I've Been Failing (Live) - Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats (2017)
Uptown Funk (feat. Bruno Mars) - Mark Ronson (2015)
Hold On, I'm Coming - Sam & Dave (1966)
Make It Mine - Jason Mraz (2008)
Say Hey (I Love You) - Michael Franti & Spearhead (2008)
I Want You Back - Jackson 5 (1969)
Apollo - St. Paul & The Broken Bones (2018)
Got to Be Real - Cheryl Lynn (1978)
Captain (Live) - Dave Matthews Band (2011)
So This Is Love? - Van Halen (1981)
You're My Best Friend - Queen (1975)
Boogie Oogie Oogie - A Taste of Honey (1978)
Boys Are Back In Town - Bus Boys (1982)
They Don't Shine - Tedeschi Trucks Band (2019)
You Dropped A Bomb On Me - The Gap Band (1982)
Smoke from a Distant Fire - Sanford-Townsend Band (1977)
My Poor Heart - The Glorious Sons (2017)
Lady Marmalade - Labelle (1974)
Porchlight - Buffalo Tom (1992)
With a Little Help from My Friends - Joe Cocker (1969)
No Woman No Cry (Live) - Bob Marley & The Wailers (1975)
This Will Be Our Year - The Zombies (1968)
In a Sentimental Mood - Duke Ellington & John Coltrane (1963)

Comments