Summer Mix 2022
Hoping to spread some joyful noise In a world that's seemingly upside down and spinning in all directions for the worse. This year's summer mix spans 65 years with 27 tracks from 1957 to 2022, and touches every decade in between.
No theme again this year, but this year's mix feels like a part II or B-side to last year's mix. Lots of classic tunes, new and old as usual; but a bit more laidback than last year, and at the same time shares a similar groove and some of the same artists. The opening and closing includes a snippet of Maxwell's "The Urban Theme" instrumental.
This is the first time I've ever repeated a track from a previous summer mix, not bad for the last 17 years or so. I couldn't help it, the Soul Survivors' "Expressway to Your Heart" fit so perfectly as a follow-up/answer back to Joss Stone's "Don't Cha Wanna Ride," I couldn't pass it up. I previously used "Expressway to Your Heart" in my 2011 Summer Mix.
There's another "answer back" sequence with Adele and Marvin Gaye a little later in the mix, and leads into a block of tracks that sound so good together and seemed to fit right there in the middle of the mix.
I almost couldn't believe I never used one of my favorite all-time songs, Alicia Keys' "If I Ain't Got You" in a summer mix before. It's included in the Autumn Sunset 2015 Mix, which is getting a follow-up soon.
Skate - Bruno Mars, Anderson .Paak & Silk Sonic (2021)
Don't Cha Wanna Ride - Joss Stone (2002)
Expressway to Your Heart - Soul Survivors (1967)
B-Side - Khruangbin & Leon Bridges (2021)
Rock With You - Michael Jackson (1979)
Same Old News - Lake Street Dive (2021)
New Age Blues - Cam Cole (2019)
I Wish - Stevie Wonder (1976)
Can I Get It - Adele (2021)
Come Get to This - Marvin Gaye (1973)
Love Me Till I'm Gone - Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats (2021)
I Got Your Love (You Got Mine) [feat. Susan Tedeschi] - Gabe Dixon (2021)
SUPERBLOOM - MisterWives (2020)
What You Say - Cold War Kids (2021)
Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker) - The Rolling Stones (1973)
You Bring Me Joy - Mary J. Blige (1994)
Finish What Ya Started - Van Halen (1988)
Sign Your Name - Sheryl Crow (2010)
Broken Horses - Brandi Carlile (2021)
Temptation Eyes - The Grass Roots (1970)
Avocado Toast - Sexy Pigeon (2020)
Baby's Got Sauce - G. Love & Special Sauce (1994)
Clarity - John Mayer (2004)
Easy to Slip - The Black Crowes (2022)
Goodnight Tonight - Wings (1979)
If I Ain't Got You - Alicia Keys (2003)
Moon Dreams - Miles Davis (1957)
On a closing note, not sure what it is, but as I get older... 90s R&B is like comfort food for the ears - Salud!


Comments