Starting Off with a Bang
This 4th of July holiday weekend started off with a bang, literally. A few nights ago around 1:30 a.m., Lago and I were woken from a sound sleep by a large crash. After shaking the sleep from my head, I discovered the mirror over my bedroom dresser had fallen off the wall and was lying on the floor smashed into a million pieces. From the looks of it, the weight of the mirror had loosened the nail in the drywall and simply gave way. The mirror was part of a solid cherry bedroom furniture set purchased in the 1960s by my parents and was quite heavy. After getting some gloves and a box to place the broken glass in, I soon discovered the exact age of the mirror when I saw a date on the back of a large jagged piece - February 8, 1960, the mirror was 46 years old. The mirror’s cherry frame was fine and I saved that. The box of broken glass went out for the trash yesterday.
The next day I felt kind of unnerved by the event, not that I think the mirror falling had any meaning, but having a loud noise wake you from a sound sleep just made me feel kind of creeped out. I guess because in the few seconds before you figure out what’s happening while you’re still trying to wake up, any number of bizarre scenarios are rushing through your head. Besides the fact that at the time it happened, Lago woke somewhat slowly and calmly and told me that it’s fine and that she’s been hearing that sound every night in her dreams and that it was OK, “just go get it.” What, what, what, what? Apparently, she had dreamed the event or at least the crashing noise, but didn’t know what it was until it happened.
I think mostly I felt creeped out because I didn’t get enough sleep and the following day felt much better. Luckily for us, the mirror fell at that time of night. Who knows what would have happened if one of us or any of the animals were standing there or walked by when it fell?
Lago getting ready for our wedding. The mirror in the photo above crashed to the floor and broke the other night.
This morning finds me listening to jazz as I type and enjoying a fine cup of joe. I listen to jazz most mornings, but find it very appropriate on the 4th because jazz is truly American music. You could say the same for country music, but I hate country music so why would I say that?
Not much planned for the big day. We’ll be grilling later and drinking some great American red wine.
I find it strange to look back on last summer when we were planning a picnic here at the lounge to celebrate our wedding. Strange because this summer is so completely different with relocating to Charlotte and thinking about our new home and trying to get used to the fact that our current home is only temporary. It’s a good strange though, because we’re both excited about Charlotte, our new home and our new career assignments.
Univited guest to last summer's picnic.
Yesterday we drove down to Lago’s parent’s farm about an hour south of us. We had a cookout at the horse barn before heading back in time for Lago to make her play rehearsal. A thunderstorm passed by and only managed some big drops before moving on. The photo below is a view from the barn and hardly does the scene justice.

Happy 4th of July to all ya’ll!
The next day I felt kind of unnerved by the event, not that I think the mirror falling had any meaning, but having a loud noise wake you from a sound sleep just made me feel kind of creeped out. I guess because in the few seconds before you figure out what’s happening while you’re still trying to wake up, any number of bizarre scenarios are rushing through your head. Besides the fact that at the time it happened, Lago woke somewhat slowly and calmly and told me that it’s fine and that she’s been hearing that sound every night in her dreams and that it was OK, “just go get it.” What, what, what, what? Apparently, she had dreamed the event or at least the crashing noise, but didn’t know what it was until it happened.
I think mostly I felt creeped out because I didn’t get enough sleep and the following day felt much better. Luckily for us, the mirror fell at that time of night. Who knows what would have happened if one of us or any of the animals were standing there or walked by when it fell?
Lago getting ready for our wedding. The mirror in the photo above crashed to the floor and broke the other night.This morning finds me listening to jazz as I type and enjoying a fine cup of joe. I listen to jazz most mornings, but find it very appropriate on the 4th because jazz is truly American music. You could say the same for country music, but I hate country music so why would I say that?
Not much planned for the big day. We’ll be grilling later and drinking some great American red wine.
I find it strange to look back on last summer when we were planning a picnic here at the lounge to celebrate our wedding. Strange because this summer is so completely different with relocating to Charlotte and thinking about our new home and trying to get used to the fact that our current home is only temporary. It’s a good strange though, because we’re both excited about Charlotte, our new home and our new career assignments.
Univited guest to last summer's picnic.Yesterday we drove down to Lago’s parent’s farm about an hour south of us. We had a cookout at the horse barn before heading back in time for Lago to make her play rehearsal. A thunderstorm passed by and only managed some big drops before moving on. The photo below is a view from the barn and hardly does the scene justice.

Happy 4th of July to all ya’ll!
Comments