The Tale of the Ginsu

I almost forgot to pass on the story of this fabled knife that actually occurred earlier this month. I can't let the holidays pass without sharing. There's not much to it, but here goes.

When Lago and I brought home our Christmas tree, the tree's top branch hit our ceiling. We've always had to cut this top branch off the tree to allow for the star to rest on top.

Ah, a saw or simply some scissors will do the trick. Sounds easy enough, right?

With the move, finding what you're looking for takes a moment to figure out where that thing may now be, then looking for and finding said item.

The hand saw... I think I saw the saw... oh, where was it now... ummm, I know I saw the saw somewhere.

Scissors, of course, I know where they are. I just saw them. I go to the kitchen and grab Lago's shears that are actually for cutting meat. They look pretty strong and if they can cut raw meat, by golly they can certainly cut a simple tree branch, right?

Wrong. The shears broke almost immediately. Now what?

Oh yeah, I have my new Black & Decker cordless tool set that includes a power saw.

Now before you start thinking this story involves a trip to the ER, let me add that the saw in question was not a circular saw, but one of those reciprocating saws.

I knew where that saw was, but the blade wasn't attached and I didn't want to take time to go through the directions. I just wanted to cut a little tree branch!

Wait... the Ginsu! That's it. If it will cut through a soda can as easy as slicing through a tomato then it will certainly cut through this little tree branch.

I climbed onto the step ladder as Lago handed me the Ginsu. Just then a bit of sun light caught the blade and made it shimmer like the steely sword of a knight going into battle. Ah, a battle indeed. I grasped the handle firmly. What balance this Ginsu had. A simple kitchen utensil? No, this ingenious blade was the stuff of legend. Why if King Arthur's chef were chopping vegetables while preparing hasenpfeffer, this Ginsu would be at his side. Yes, this Ginsu just might work, I thought, as I held the tree branch in one hand and the Ginsu in the other. I started to cut through the branch slowly at first and when I saw the blade's momentum I knew it was a matter of time. As the Ginsu made its last cut through the branch releasing it from the tree, it was a joyous occasion. I believe I may have even heard trumpets sounding throughout the land, or that may have been the Jazz channel on Sirius. But there was rejoicing nonetheless. As I placed the Ginsu in the dishwasher, I thought, thank you Senor Rob Monkey for presenting us with the Ginsu that has made our world a brighter place.

The End

Comments

Anonymous said…
Oh my Jesus, you used hasenpfeffer in a story... I just don't know you man.

Popular posts from this blog

New Woodside Lounge

Summer Mix 2007