Guilty Pleasures... MUSIC
Tonight I thought I'd kick it old school and type this post, but look for another video posting very soon. I've been thinking about this post for a few days since I downloaded some updates to the jukebox from iTunes. To back up a bit, when I create a mix such as the annual Summer Mix, I usually gather up more songs than I need and widdle them down to the select 17-19 tracks that fit on a CD. In doing so, I came across some tunes that well... don't get your hopes up, we're not talking Yanni or Streisand here. We're talking tracks that well, let's say would not make the top of the "cool" list. Of course, the funny thing about "cool," it's always open to interpretation. Enough about that, here we go...
The first track that comes to mind and for whatever reason always reminds me of Philadelphia - that's the live version of "Turn It On Again" by Genesis. This track goes back to my high school days and what's really funny is that the recording of this song from the "Three Sides Live" album was recorded in Germany. Back when Genesis was in its heyday and I was growing up in what was considered the Lehigh Valley, albeit I resided in Phillipsburg, NJ, classic Genesis tracks were featured extensively on the Philly radio stations WYSP and WMMR, as well as local station Z-95, WZZO.
The track I was after to possibly include on my latest Summer Mix was actually "Follow You, Follow Me" from the Genesis album "...And Then There Were Three." One memory I have from back in the day, was one night SplattMan and I were heading to the Airport Music Hall in Allentown, PA, to check out some 1980s one-hit wonder... To digress for a moment, here's a list of some of the bands I happened to catch at the infamous Airport Music Hall:
The Models
Modern English
The Replacements
The Ramones
The Jayhawks
Level 42
Bourgeois Tagg
Del Fuegos
FYI, I think I have the sleeve of Paul Westerberg's flannel shirt in a box somewhere, and please note that I do NOT include The Ramones or The Replacements under the term "1980s One-Hit Wonder."
Back to the story, SplattMan and I are enroute to the Music Hall and "Follow You, Follow Me" comes on the tape deck, yep I said tape deck. We're just down the road from the entrance, but we both agree this is a song to save for its entirety on our way back home, most likely lamenting the hot girl that got away. So I pop out the tape to save for our return trip.
Up next, "Diggin' Your Scene" by The Blow Monkeys. Don't know why, but this song takes me right back to the 1980s and also the fact that I happened to catch The Blow Monkeys open for The Psychedelic Furs at the Garden State Arts Center in Holmdel, NJ. We had what are today called "lawn seats," but back then it was sand or large round stones...? OK, #1 - it was a long time ago. #2 - Someone asked me if I wanted some "spleaf" and that's all I remember.
Hey, I'm sure you've done stupid things when you were young too, like "Hey, let's make a PB&J sandwich, but all we have is mayo and ketchup."
I won't burn my whole list here, let's let some of y'all offer up some guilty musical pleasures first. For now, I leave you with one last guilty pleasure... Janet Jackson. OK, this may have something to do with her visual aspect, but I cannot deny that the Jukebox includes a good portion of her hits. Hey, before you come down on me remember the title of this post... guilty pleasures.
One last guilty pleasure comes by way of Lago, who offers what she considers her own guilty pleasure... George Michael's "Freedom 90." I tell her that with all the super models in the video, how can that be a "guilty pleasure." She responds that she's a "rock chic" and for her that's a guilty pleasure.
Hey, Lazy Acres did you catch that they lifted a drop from "Aw Shit" in the latest episode of HBO's "Entourage."
The first track that comes to mind and for whatever reason always reminds me of Philadelphia - that's the live version of "Turn It On Again" by Genesis. This track goes back to my high school days and what's really funny is that the recording of this song from the "Three Sides Live" album was recorded in Germany. Back when Genesis was in its heyday and I was growing up in what was considered the Lehigh Valley, albeit I resided in Phillipsburg, NJ, classic Genesis tracks were featured extensively on the Philly radio stations WYSP and WMMR, as well as local station Z-95, WZZO.
The track I was after to possibly include on my latest Summer Mix was actually "Follow You, Follow Me" from the Genesis album "...And Then There Were Three." One memory I have from back in the day, was one night SplattMan and I were heading to the Airport Music Hall in Allentown, PA, to check out some 1980s one-hit wonder... To digress for a moment, here's a list of some of the bands I happened to catch at the infamous Airport Music Hall:The Models
Modern English
The Replacements
The Ramones
The Jayhawks
Level 42
Bourgeois Tagg
Del Fuegos
FYI, I think I have the sleeve of Paul Westerberg's flannel shirt in a box somewhere, and please note that I do NOT include The Ramones or The Replacements under the term "1980s One-Hit Wonder."
Back to the story, SplattMan and I are enroute to the Music Hall and "Follow You, Follow Me" comes on the tape deck, yep I said tape deck. We're just down the road from the entrance, but we both agree this is a song to save for its entirety on our way back home, most likely lamenting the hot girl that got away. So I pop out the tape to save for our return trip.
Up next, "Diggin' Your Scene" by The Blow Monkeys. Don't know why, but this song takes me right back to the 1980s and also the fact that I happened to catch The Blow Monkeys open for The Psychedelic Furs at the Garden State Arts Center in Holmdel, NJ. We had what are today called "lawn seats," but back then it was sand or large round stones...? OK, #1 - it was a long time ago. #2 - Someone asked me if I wanted some "spleaf" and that's all I remember.Hey, I'm sure you've done stupid things when you were young too, like "Hey, let's make a PB&J sandwich, but all we have is mayo and ketchup."
I won't burn my whole list here, let's let some of y'all offer up some guilty musical pleasures first. For now, I leave you with one last guilty pleasure... Janet Jackson. OK, this may have something to do with her visual aspect, but I cannot deny that the Jukebox includes a good portion of her hits. Hey, before you come down on me remember the title of this post... guilty pleasures.
One last guilty pleasure comes by way of Lago, who offers what she considers her own guilty pleasure... George Michael's "Freedom 90." I tell her that with all the super models in the video, how can that be a "guilty pleasure." She responds that she's a "rock chic" and for her that's a guilty pleasure.Hey, Lazy Acres did you catch that they lifted a drop from "Aw Shit" in the latest episode of HBO's "Entourage."
Comments