On Tap @ The Lounge - 5/12/2007

Perhaps I should title this as the "Late Friday Edition" of On Tap since I'm posting this on Saturday morning. Lago and I went to the symphony last night to see Patti Austin sing some of Ella Fitzgerald's classic songs from her Grammy-nominated tribute "For Ella." The Charlotte Symphony Pops opened the evening with five classic pieces starting with Tchaikovsky's "Capriccio italien, Op.45" followed by Mascagni's "Intermezzo from Cavalleria Rusticana." The latter piece may not be familiar by its title, but if you've seen Martin Scorcese's classic "Raging Bull" you've undoubtedly heard this before. Cavalleria Rusticana is also the opera performed near the end of "The Godfather Part III."

After an intermission, Patti Austin took the stage with her three-piece combo (piano, stand-up bass and drums) joining the orchestra. She jumped into "Too Close for Comfort" and proceeded to pull one memorable song after another from what she called "The Classic American Songbook." When she performed "Our Love is Here to Stay," I was reminded that sometimes I feel like I was born in the wrong decade - a sentiment Lago often states when she is performing some of the old standards with the Carolina Voices.


"... Not for a year, but forever and a day..."

- we should have gotten up to dance when you asked, sorry we didn't :-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Woodside Lounge

Summer Mix 2007