Soulive!

We caught Soulive here last night at a small club, The Visulite. Very cool place to see a show, previously was a movie theater. The sound system was a bit too loud - I know, they say if it's too loud you're too old. But this was not this case. I literally could barely hear anything when we left the club. These guys are awesome musicians, but we actually left a little early due to the noise level. We were sitting pretty close and in direct line of one of the massive speakers hanging from the ceiling. If we go there again, we know to sit farther back.

The only other complaint we had was the show was scheduled for a 9pm start but didn't start until well after 10pm and there was no opener. Maybe the band was watching the Panthers take a pre-season beating from the Pats who were in town last night as well.

I found the video clip below of Soulive performing a couple years ago. Dave Matthews fans may recognize Rashawn Ross playing trumpet in the clip, who now tours with Dave. Soulive just released a new CD which features a lead singer. The singer only joined the band on the new songs, and they pumped out plenty of their "old school" funky, R&B jazz to rock the house.



We must have been wearing signs on our foreheads that read "talk to us," because two separate strangers started up conversations with us while we waited for the set to begin. The first person came up because I was wearing a Dave Matthews T-shirt and she was a fellow Dave fan. The other person just started talking to us for no other reason than she was sitting near us. I got the feeling that she needed to talk constantly to someone, anyone, or she would explode. She asked if we ever saw the band before. I said not live, but we were very familiar with their music. I don't think she had heard Soulive before because she left with her husband five minutes after the band started. I guess they didn't care that they spent $44 to get in?

Supposed to be 101 here today - I can't wait for Fall to begin!!!

Comments

Anonymous said…
The Visulite? I thought you left Staunton? :-)

Popular posts from this blog

New Woodside Lounge

Summer Mix 2007