Welcome, 2011
Happy New Year to one and all! Hope this New Year's Day finds you in good spirits and good health.
I often like to kick off the New Year with a tune that for better or worse, old or new, sums up how I feel at the time, or my optimism for the year ahead, or simply an odd notion to hear a song I haven't heard in a long time.
I recall one wild New Year's Eve celebrated at the Monkey's place years ago when we welcomed in the the year 1988... why he wasn't even "The Monkey" back then, just my pal Rob. Our buddy Dave was in town from California and we all gathered at Rob's parents' basement.

That's Dave (above) on the left, and to this day no one knows who's the girl in the photo.
Rob's parents were away so we really had run of the whole house -- I think the stereo was upstairs and the speakers were wired down to the basement.

This photo (above) was taken early in the evening before more guests arrived -- including the "mystery girl." And yes, this was before I got into the "hoppy" ales... those are 16 oz. Busch returnable bottles we're drinking.
I recall spinning tunes that night, and announcing what was coming up via a mic Rob had hooked up to his stereo. I believe my first song that evening to welcome in the new year was...
The Sex Pistols cover of "Rock Around The Clock"
I recall one year my first song for the new year was Three Dog Night's "Joy To The World."
This may or may not have been the night Rob Monkey and my sister Linda joined Ann (my ex) and I for a late night "throw down" that went into the wee hours of the morning.

I remember that New Year's vividly as we had some people over, but it was very low key. As soon as they left after midnight, I cranked up the tunes and the party went on until 3 or 4 in the morning!

This year, I was clicking back through my blog at the year that was and somehow eventually stumbled upon the song I chose to ring in 2011. It's an oldie, but a "goodie" as they say. I don't know, there was just something about it that said "yes, that's the one!" It's optimistic, it's maybe even a little cheesy, but it's how I wanted to kick off the new year. The song...
Spiral Starecase "More Today Than Yesterday"
To be honest, I don't know where the optimist in me comes from, but I'm ever so grateful it's there. Here's to the new year... may 2011 bring you all that you hope for, may you be healthy, happy and find new wisdom in the year ahead.
- Salud!
I often like to kick off the New Year with a tune that for better or worse, old or new, sums up how I feel at the time, or my optimism for the year ahead, or simply an odd notion to hear a song I haven't heard in a long time.
I recall one wild New Year's Eve celebrated at the Monkey's place years ago when we welcomed in the the year 1988... why he wasn't even "The Monkey" back then, just my pal Rob. Our buddy Dave was in town from California and we all gathered at Rob's parents' basement.

That's Dave (above) on the left, and to this day no one knows who's the girl in the photo.
Rob's parents were away so we really had run of the whole house -- I think the stereo was upstairs and the speakers were wired down to the basement.

This photo (above) was taken early in the evening before more guests arrived -- including the "mystery girl." And yes, this was before I got into the "hoppy" ales... those are 16 oz. Busch returnable bottles we're drinking.
I recall spinning tunes that night, and announcing what was coming up via a mic Rob had hooked up to his stereo. I believe my first song that evening to welcome in the new year was...
The Sex Pistols cover of "Rock Around The Clock"
I recall one year my first song for the new year was Three Dog Night's "Joy To The World."
This may or may not have been the night Rob Monkey and my sister Linda joined Ann (my ex) and I for a late night "throw down" that went into the wee hours of the morning.

I remember that New Year's vividly as we had some people over, but it was very low key. As soon as they left after midnight, I cranked up the tunes and the party went on until 3 or 4 in the morning!

This year, I was clicking back through my blog at the year that was and somehow eventually stumbled upon the song I chose to ring in 2011. It's an oldie, but a "goodie" as they say. I don't know, there was just something about it that said "yes, that's the one!" It's optimistic, it's maybe even a little cheesy, but it's how I wanted to kick off the new year. The song...
Spiral Starecase "More Today Than Yesterday"
To be honest, I don't know where the optimist in me comes from, but I'm ever so grateful it's there. Here's to the new year... may 2011 bring you all that you hope for, may you be healthy, happy and find new wisdom in the year ahead.
- Salud!
Comments
I remember the party with your sister and the people that came over (from the church) early in the evening.. I started to sing a loud song and I think you motioned for me to bring it down... I do remember singing 'Ring of Fire' ... I think they thought I was the entertainment and wanted their money back...
Good times my friend! Looking forward to 2011 and see what concert adventure we can go on!
I have great memories from Philly in 2010.. DMB.. the cab driver..