Our 2012 DMB VA trip - Google was actually spot on for best routes.
When I looked at this year's Dave Matthews Band tour schedule I thought they have back-to-back shows in Virginia (Bristow and Va. Beach) on June 16-17, which are basically hometown shows for the band. They were also looking at a short break following the Va. Beach show, and young blues guitar slinger Gary Clark Jr. was opening both shows... I thought this was a must see.
Without regard to travel plans, I bought the tickets and reserved hotel rooms nearby both locations. My first thought was I might fly into DC (Dulles) and meet up with my pals who would then drop me back at the airport on their way home the day after the last show. After some time to think on it, I came to the conclusion it would be best to fly up to the Lehigh Valley, see my family and then drive down to the shows and back with The Monkey.
Friday afternoon beers at the Legion.
I flew into Allentown, Pa., a couple days before the first show. I spent some time visiting and even got up to the Legion for some traditional Friday afternoon beers with my Pops.
Pop's garden
Also got a run in on Friday and checked out Pop's garden, which already had some tomatoes coming in.
Hitting the road.
Saturday morning it was time to hit the road. I picked up the Monkey and we headed south to Virginia through Gettysburg, where we stopped for lunch.
Lunch - Wendy's salads.
Gettysburg is allegedly the most haunted place in America, but I didn't see any ghosts. At least I don't think so, of course some people we saw and took for granted were "real" could have been ghosts, who knows. As you may remember, Monkey and I haven't had much luck in finding ghosts.
From Gettysburg it wasn't too long before we hit Maryland and eventually Virginia. Google suggested this route and was actually spot on. It was a nice drive and we got to the hotel with plenty of time to spare before the show.
Arriving at the hotel.
Upon arrival, we got word from Ol' Lazy Acres North (LAN) that he and his daughter were at the Uno's nearby. They had visited the Air and Space Museum earlier, but she wasn't going to the show that night. She's not a DMB fan... crazy. We all checked into the hotel and then we met up with LAN and picked up some beers and ice for tailgating and hit the Uno's for some pre-show eats.
Traffic heading into the parking lot.
Afterwards we headed over to the venue, formerly the Nissan Pavilion and now known as Jiffy Lube Live. We had a beer in the parking lot even though they had a very strict no alcoholic beverages policy for tailgating.
Parking lot rules.
We poured our beers into the typical red plastic Solo cups. Odd considering here in Charlotte it's the complete opposite and one can freely indulge in pre-show libations, maybe different state laws. Anyway, we wanted to get into the show early to catch Gary Clark Jr.'s opening set, so our refills were to go and made the long walk from the back of the parking lot to the gate. On the way, we each gave our picks for the first song DMB would play that night. Turned out none of us were right.
Giving our picks for DMB's first song.
This would be Monkey's 7th DMB show, LAN's 15th and my 34th.
Once inside we made our way around to the food and beverage areas adjacent to the seating entrances. We scoped out the merchandise tents and I picked up a limited edition poster.
DMB limited edition poster for Bristow, VA, 2012
I don't always buy a poster, but if I like it I do. Funny thing was, only the day before one of my buddies on Facebook mentioned that I should buy a VW bus since I was such a "Dave head." When I saw this design of the classic VW bug with the "DMB 041" license plate, I had to buy it. I had a similar plate (DMB WH41) when I lived in Virginia.
Next up was finding the craft beer. Sure if you want a Bud, Coors, Miller or Corona you can hit any beer vendor, but the craft beers always take some searching. Sure enough we found them.
Three dorks... "Beered" and hitting our mobile devices.
Properly "beered," we made our way in to our seats for Gary Clark Jr. My seat... #34 of course!
My seat
Even though LAN's seat was at the other end of the row from Monkey and me, he joined us for the opening set as most seats were still open.
Gary Clark Jr.
Gary played a very cool set that's he's been playing around this year's spring/summer festival circuit.
After Gary's set we took another break and then LAN moved to his ticketed seat, just down the same row as ours.
Unplanned, we were in the same row.
As it got closer to show time, seats started to fill in. I'm not sure if it was sold out, but certainly looked that way.
Looking back from our seats.
Before long Dave and the boys took the stage and opened with "Seven," one of my favorites from their last studio album, but for some reason didn't see it as an opener... none of us did.
Ol' Lazy Acres view.
The band launched into kind of a mellow set that had included some of their new songs "Mercy," "Sweet," "If Only" and "Gaucho."
Dave and the boys started kickin' later in the show.
As the evening progressed they added more rockin' tunes like "Jimi Thing," "Cornbread," "What Would You Say" and the set closer "Don't Drink The Water."
They ended the night with an encore set of two classics "Warehouse" and "Grey Street." It was a good show even though it started out with a little too many slower songs, but any night seeing DMB is a good one.
Walking through the crowd following the show something weird happened. Someone, somewhere said "big red" and next thing you know LAN had a new nickname... "Big Red." Still not sure of its metamorphosis, but it just seemed to stick.
While waiting in line to get out of the parking lot, Big Red decided to "treat us" (or torture us) with what he called his "Poppy Mix." As we found out later this was a mix he played for his daughters in the car and included the likes of Katy Perry and Justin Beiber. I can understand having it in the car for the kids, but Monkey and I got "Beibered" that night... I'm still not sure I'm the same following this horrific event.
After what felt like forever, we finally got out of the parking lot. With my 34th show in the books, it was back to the hotel for some sleep, and then off to Virginia Beach the following morning for the next night's show.
Opened up the new Woodside Lounge yesterday. For those of you who have visited in the past, this room is at the front of the house but many times went unnoticed by visitors as it was closed off and used as storage. The new Woodside Lounge has its own TV, even though it's around the corner from the theater room. It just goes without saying, all lounges must have a TV for sporting events. I believe it's in the building code. Music is served up from the stereo system currently residing in the dining room, but I'm thinking of moving it to the Lounge. Today I went streakin'! Remember, use that sunblock out there. - Salud!
This year's summer mix spans 56 years with 20 tracks from 1969 to 2025. The mix opens with the tranquil sounds of a gentle stream on a summer's day, and closes with a nighttime melody of crickets chirping and a crackling fire with thunder rumbling in the distance of an approaching summer storm. Pour a few cocktails and enjoy on an afternoon or evening. Sunshine In The Room (feat. Jon Batiste) - James Bay (2024) Miles And Miles - The Heavy Heavy (2020) Woodstock - Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young (1970) Only Love Matters - The Black Keys (2024) Red River - Eddie 9V (2024) I Feel Good - Pink Sweat$ (2021) Love Is Alive - Gary Wright (1975) She Wants To Go Dancing - Mt. Joy (2025) Tell Me Why U Do That - Grace Bowers & The Hodge Podge (2024) Dream Come True - The Brand New Heavies (1990) Invincible - Tom Misch (2024) Grazing In the Grass - The Friends of Distinction (1969) Outlaw Blues - Queens of the Stone Age (2012) Back Again - Soulive & Chaka Khan (2006) If I Got It (...
I probably should give this over the weekend to think about it, because there are three songs not included in this year's Summer Mix that I've been flip-flopping over. The mix just seems very tight and I can't fit the songs in without repeating the "essence," "groove" or beat of another song. I think the mixes for me work best when they flow and take you from one place to another musically without beating you over the head with the same style. Another thing I like to do with the Summer Mix is incorporate the old alongside the new. I hate to put two old songs back to back, or should I say two songs from the same era back to back. Now as you look at my mix you'll see some old songs next to other old songs. I guess it's not a hard and fast rule for me, but I try to at least jump a decade between two old songs. Like last year I kept the sound effects to a minimum, using a mix I created of beach sounds for the opening and a crickets sound effect for ...
Comments