The Case of The Unsigned Painting

This painting (above) was found tucked away in a closet in my grandparents' home a number of years ago. While it looks like it could be one of my great grandfather Thomspon Alexander Foster's paintings, it's unsigned and there is no identifiable information on the back.

I liked the painting and decided to hang it in my home along with other works by my great grandfather. It was rumored that my grandmother, on my Dad's side, had once asked my Mom's grandfather Thompson to paint something for her. Could this be that rumored painting? If it was, why was it unsigned? While it's believed that Thompson signed all his works with his own unique signature, he sometimes included the year and sometimes did not. So in my mind there was a chance this was one of his, but there was no way of knowing for sure.

For many years I wondered who painted this fall scene that hung on my bedroom wall. From time to time I'd give the painting a closer examination to see if maybe the signature was there. Maybe it was muted by the muddle of colors at the base of the tree in the painting, but no luck.

Until today I thought I'd never know. That was until I was paging through some of Thompson's instructional sketch and painting books where he had placed old photos, cards, newspaper articles and calendars. I'm guessing he used them as ideas for new paintings. Many of them were landscapes of fall and winter scenes, along with some still lifes. When I saw the photo of the fall scene torn from a 1962 Hartford Insurance calendar I immediately recognized it. I took the photo and ran to the painting. I held the photo up next to it. Wow, it was nearly identical.
There were some still-life photos too that I recognized from his other works that belonged to family members.
While I'm still puzzled about the painting's lack of signature, I'd say I'm 99.9% certain this is one of my great grandfather's paintings and that's fine by me.

Fitting I think to welcome in this new/old painting of Thompson's aka "Daddy Tim"... Welcome home "Daddy Tim" - Salud!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Woodside Lounge

Summer Mix 2025

Summer Mix 2007