What Makes You Happy?

This line popped into my head this evening after witnessing a trying day for a co-worker. On one hand, at least it was work-related stress and not a family issue. This is hardly a comforting thought, especially because work, good or bad, takes up a large part of our lives.

Work is a necessary evil and why I’ve always found it important to enjoy what you do, or at least tolerate it well. All jobs have their up and downs, and as Lago put it earlier this evening, if you don’t tell anyone how you feel, then how will they know you’re unhappy? They probably won’t.

Remember those old black & white TV shows where the friend, parent, teacher or maybe even the boss could take one look at a person and know he or she is unhappy. In the real world, most people have issues of their own and unless they hear otherwise, they will assume everything is fine.

In time, you might be able to read someone like the old TV shows, but it doesn’t come quickly. It took me awhile to realize that there were times when Lago might be short with me, not because I said or did anything to irritate her, but because something else was bothering her. Now after some years together, I know the difference between my lunacy getting under her skin and when something is on her mind – most of the time. :~)

Back to work-related issues... I must say, I’ve had a very good streak as far as bosses go, up until my current position. This is mostly due to the fact that my co-worker and I are under “interim management,” and I think we’re both finding it difficult dealing with a lack of leadership. Now you could get into a whole tangent of leadership and what makes a good leader. Far smarter people than I have written entire books on the subject, but I’ll offer my “two cents.”

A good leader, I mean a really good leader, will inspire you. He or she may push you, but only because both of you know you can do better. A leader is not always going to be your best friend, but a good leader is a good listener. As much as they inspire you, never put them on a pedestal or be fearful of them. They’re people same as you, and as much as you may not even realize it, we’re all leaders. Whether it be work or family, or even if it’s just you. You lead yourself, right? This is assuming you’re somewhat “normal” and by that I mean you know the difference between right and wrong. You do. Unless you’re a sociopath, you do. Even criminals know the difference, if they didn’t than why do they run? Why would they try so hard no to be captured if they didn’t know right from wrong?

Again, I digress. As much as there are good leaders, there are also good followers. A good follower is NOT someone who blindly does what they’re told. That’s an idiot and believe me the world is full of them. A good follower… again a good listener, a good communicator. The simple act of keeping people “in the loop” – informed – can go a long way.

Being a good follower is often overlooked because followers and leaders alike, we all strive to be good...

The next word was going to be “leaders,” but we all strive to be good people. No matter what path or role life hands us, for the most part we all aspire to do well. We all want from time to time to have that “light” shine upon us, to not only enjoy a job well done, but to be commended for it. That’s the key. I think we all find satisfaction in knowing we did a good job or completed a task, but the proverbial pat on the back, that’s what we want. That’s what we all want, but sometimes are lacking. Sometimes we have to be satisfied with patting ourselves on the back, and many times that isn’t enough.

I won’t deny, as we all know, there are a lot of times when you have to suck it up and keep going. Pride doesn’t pay the bills. But, there are times when you can’t drop the ball. There are times when you must keep your responsibility of being a good follower, to let the leader know how you feel. A good leader will listen and try to improve the situation. If not, you have two choices – suck it up hoping the situation improves with time or leave.

This is a different world. In the past you went to work for a company and you were there until you retired with a gold Timex. Today, employees no matter how high on the food chain come and go whether they were let go or simply wanted a change. Everything seems exceedingly temporary – everything, everyone disposable.

What kind of world is this? Can we change? They say change starts at the top. That is true for the most part, unless that change began with a suggestion from a responsible employee who merely asked to be heard.

Comments

Anonymous said…
What do you think about St. Louis?

Popular posts from this blog

New Woodside Lounge

Summer Mix 2025

Summer Mix 2007