The DMB Story
How I Became a Dave Matthews Band Fan
Ol' Lazy Acres recent posting in which he mentioned that "#41" was quickly becoming his favorite DMB track, made me recall how I became a Dave Matthews Band fan even though I didn't like them when their popularity rose in the mid-1990s.
Back in the '90s, I was in Boston and DMB could be heard all over the radio with their hits "What Would You Say," "Ants Marching," "Satellite," etc. But at the time, I was into the "grunge thing" and listening to a lot of Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Nirvana, The Smashing Pumpkins, The Beastie Boys, and the like. I couldn't stand hearing the DMB hits the radio played over and over again, even though many people in Boston loved them.
It was this way for awhile, until 1999 when DMB played Woodstock. I was now living in the Philadelphia area, but I wouldn't meet the woman of my dreams, Lago, for another year or so. I wanted to attend the big Woodstock weekend celebration concert, but couldn't find anyone willing to join me. So I ordered it on Pay-Per-View and spent the weekend enjoying the concert from the air-conditioned comfort of my own apartment.
The Dave Matthews Band took the main stage late Saturday afternoon and opened with "#41." At the time I had no idea what the name of the song was, I kind of liked it and I had definitely never heard it before. I videotaped the entire concert and pulled the DMB track from the video to a cassette tape. I still didn't make the leap to becoming a DMB fan, but grew to really like that one song.
It was some time later that I heard another DMB song that I had never heard before and liked it right away, it was "Rapunzel." It was about this time that I met Lago. She liked DMB and through her I began discovering more DMB tracks that I had never heard before like "Jimi Thing" and "Warehouse." I eventually grew to like the radio hits too, but the majority of my favorite DMB tracks are the deeper album cuts that never found their way to the radio airwaves, especially the live versions.
Of course today with iTunes and satellite radio, I listen to what I want to hear and that's usually Jazz in the morning, but the afternoon & evening is a mish-mash of rock, Rat Pack and a whole lot of DMB.
Salut'!
#41
I couldn't find a version from Woodstock, but here is "#41" as performed in Chicago on 12/19/1998, which was also released as a live recording. Mix yourself a cocktail and enjoy!
Ol' Lazy Acres recent posting in which he mentioned that "#41" was quickly becoming his favorite DMB track, made me recall how I became a Dave Matthews Band fan even though I didn't like them when their popularity rose in the mid-1990s.
Back in the '90s, I was in Boston and DMB could be heard all over the radio with their hits "What Would You Say," "Ants Marching," "Satellite," etc. But at the time, I was into the "grunge thing" and listening to a lot of Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Nirvana, The Smashing Pumpkins, The Beastie Boys, and the like. I couldn't stand hearing the DMB hits the radio played over and over again, even though many people in Boston loved them.
It was this way for awhile, until 1999 when DMB played Woodstock. I was now living in the Philadelphia area, but I wouldn't meet the woman of my dreams, Lago, for another year or so. I wanted to attend the big Woodstock weekend celebration concert, but couldn't find anyone willing to join me. So I ordered it on Pay-Per-View and spent the weekend enjoying the concert from the air-conditioned comfort of my own apartment.
The Dave Matthews Band took the main stage late Saturday afternoon and opened with "#41." At the time I had no idea what the name of the song was, I kind of liked it and I had definitely never heard it before. I videotaped the entire concert and pulled the DMB track from the video to a cassette tape. I still didn't make the leap to becoming a DMB fan, but grew to really like that one song.
It was some time later that I heard another DMB song that I had never heard before and liked it right away, it was "Rapunzel." It was about this time that I met Lago. She liked DMB and through her I began discovering more DMB tracks that I had never heard before like "Jimi Thing" and "Warehouse." I eventually grew to like the radio hits too, but the majority of my favorite DMB tracks are the deeper album cuts that never found their way to the radio airwaves, especially the live versions.
Of course today with iTunes and satellite radio, I listen to what I want to hear and that's usually Jazz in the morning, but the afternoon & evening is a mish-mash of rock, Rat Pack and a whole lot of DMB.
Salut'!
#41
I couldn't find a version from Woodstock, but here is "#41" as performed in Chicago on 12/19/1998, which was also released as a live recording. Mix yourself a cocktail and enjoy!
Comments