Deer Return and Wicked

The deer were back this morning. They are usually winter visitors in the early morning fog, but this is the first time I've seen them in the spring and the closest they've gotten. In the photos you can see they actually came up to the backyard before running back into the woods.


It's always kind of bitter sweet when I see them. As much as I enjoy seeing their activity, at the same time I wish they were somewhere outside the city limits where they could roam far away from us crazy humans.

In Other News...
I went to see the national touring version of the Broadway musical Wicked last night with Lago. We had dinner at Cantina, an excellent Mexican restaurant that serves fresh guacamole made right at your table.

*** WARNING - Spoiler Alert, stop reading if you don't want to know the show's outcome. ***

I must say the show was excellent, very uplifting. All I really knew about the show was that it was about the witches from "The Wizard of Oz" and how they met before the timeline of the film. I thought the show would bring us up to the point where the film begins and that would be it, but no. It takes you right through the film's timeline and beyond.

I was never a fan of the film the "Wizard of Oz," nothing against those of you out there who enjoy the film. It was never for me. I didn't like it as a kid and don't like it now. But, I was intrigued with the idea of how the wicked witch became so wicked. In the show, you find out the wicked witch was not really wicked after all, actually misunderstood and the subject of a smear campaign by those who plotted against her.

Halfway through the show, you feel sad for the so-called "wicked" or green witch, because you know (or think you know) she dies at the end of the film, as well as, at the beginning of the show. The majority of the show is actually presented in flashback.

The theater was sold out and I think to everyone's delight, the green witch untangles herself from her adversaries. Although she can never return to Oz, she is not killed by the dopey girl from Kansas, and gets her man.

The biggest question I had, and probably most did, was how did the green witch become green for each performance. The answer can be found in the video below. While this clip is from a local Cleveland news report, it features the same actress who performed as "Elphaba" the green witch in the show last night.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Woodside Lounge

Summer Mix 2025

Summer Mix 2007