Where To Begin...

Our web servers were down at work, since yesterday actually. After getting no response from our IT peops, I decided to drive into work, see if it was as simple as flipping on the power buttons to get them to boot up. I thought, well if I get an early start, I'll go right to McAlpine Creek Park from the office and get a run in.

I arrived at the office and made my way to the server room. Seemed like all servers had power except for our web servers, which sat there in the racks lifeless. I tried the power strip reset, but these servers just weren't getting any juice. This was now beyond my realm of comprehension and needed IT support.

With nothing more I could do, I headed to McAlpine park to run. I picked up a bottle of water on the way and got to the park around 11am. Our forecast was for the high 80s and even at this time could tell the temp was climbing.

I cut my run short, only 3.5 miles, due to the heat and headed back to the car. I took a moment to catch my breath and had some water. I was soaking wet with sweat at this point and looking forward to blasting the car's air conditioning on the quick drive back home. I turned the key to the ignition and nothing. Expletives quickly followed.

I guess this is why I have AAA, so I gave them a call. A service truck was out in about 20 minutes. He ran some tests, but they were conflicting. Sometimes the battery read normal, sometimes it read to replace it. Probably should have had it replaced then and there, but I opted to get a jump to get back home and deal with it there, especially since now I was swimming in sweat.

I got home and as I somewhat expected the car was dead once I shut it off. The alarm, lights, nothing worked. I called AAA back after I got a shower. I had lunch while I waited. Another service truck showed up fairly quickly again. The battery continued to give its puzzling readings, but I told the service guy to just replace it. That did the trick. As soon as he connected the battery the lights came on, aha success!

It was now approaching 4pm and it was right about then our IT peops restarted our web servers. I guess it could have been worse, but still glad to be done with today's events. At least I have a steak marinating and a nice bottle of red to go with it.

- Salud!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Had this happen to me several times...luckily our cars were in the driveway both times... and I replaced the battery in Sue's car the second time... didn't know what was going on since it wouldn't start... took the battery over to Sears and they did a test on it.. and it was dead..

It's also good to have AAA if you are away from home.

It was probably your animal magnetism that shorted out the computers and the car.. sometimes my cell phone stops working when it's within a couple miles of your house.

Popular posts from this blog

New Woodside Lounge

Summer Mix 2007