Goodbye to an Old Friend
Flipper (aka Bubba)
1994 - 2009

Flipper passed away today at the age of 15 years and 5 months. He was a great friend and he will be missed. The last couple years he was diabetic and managed to do OK, but he had deteriorated over the last month or so.
Seems like only yesterday I picked up a little grey kitten at a pet store located on Newbury Street in Boston. My friend Karen said I should have a cat, and she picked a grey one from a large litter of kittens. But what to name him? It took me a little while, but as soon as the name "Flipper" popped in my head, that was it.
Flipper was always trying to escape outside. Seemed his days were filled with looking for ways out. He hated closed doors and learned how to open them at a young age. He would even open kitchen cabinets while I was at work. It looked like a scene from "The Sixth Sense" when I'd walk in and see cabinet doors left wide open. I knew I didn't have a ghost just the Flip.
Today I let him go outside. He could barely walk, but seemed to enjoy smelling the grass and bushes. Unlike long ago, he didn't want to run off and see the world. He waited for me to open the door and came back in.
Goodbye old friend, thanks for always being there and for greeting me at the door every time I came home. You were one of a kind.

Below is a post about Flipper and all the animals from back in July 2006. In it I also recount a story about Flipper from 1996.
4 Paws Update - July 2006
1994 - 2009

Flipper passed away today at the age of 15 years and 5 months. He was a great friend and he will be missed. The last couple years he was diabetic and managed to do OK, but he had deteriorated over the last month or so.
Seems like only yesterday I picked up a little grey kitten at a pet store located on Newbury Street in Boston. My friend Karen said I should have a cat, and she picked a grey one from a large litter of kittens. But what to name him? It took me a little while, but as soon as the name "Flipper" popped in my head, that was it.
Flipper was always trying to escape outside. Seemed his days were filled with looking for ways out. He hated closed doors and learned how to open them at a young age. He would even open kitchen cabinets while I was at work. It looked like a scene from "The Sixth Sense" when I'd walk in and see cabinet doors left wide open. I knew I didn't have a ghost just the Flip.
Today I let him go outside. He could barely walk, but seemed to enjoy smelling the grass and bushes. Unlike long ago, he didn't want to run off and see the world. He waited for me to open the door and came back in.
Goodbye old friend, thanks for always being there and for greeting me at the door every time I came home. You were one of a kind.

Below is a post about Flipper and all the animals from back in July 2006. In it I also recount a story about Flipper from 1996.
4 Paws Update - July 2006
Comments