Iron Pigs and Horse Sh*t

Friday, July 1

After getting back from Philly that morning, I still had a full day and evening planned in the Lehigh Valley that included cold drafts at The Legion, and an Iron Pigs ball game with my Pops, my sister and The Monkey.

After stopping in The Legion, a Friday afternoon ritual for my Pops and his old pals, we went down to Shruty's to pick up my sister. There I had a ribeye steak sammy for dinner and then we were off to pick up Rob on our way to the ball park.

The home of the Phillies' AAA team the Iron Pigs is only a couple years old and a great place to see a game. There isn't a bad seat in the house.


Pops and I at the ball game.


After one of the innings, an outfielder threw a ball into the stands. They usually toss them to a kid down near the field, but this one flew right up to our section. I don't think any of us knew it was coming until it was right in front of us, and it was too late. The ball careened off my Pops knee and into a kid's hands a few seats down. All was fine and my Pops only had a small mark where the ball hit.

Between innings, there's always something going on - crazy contests with the fans, T-shirts tossed into the stands, or the pork race with Diggity Dog, Chris P. Bacon, and Ham Bone. This night was no different, but they always seemed to skip our section with the prizes and T-shirts. After each time they skipped us, my sister would say, "That's horse shit!" It was pretty funny and Rob and I started thinking up ways to say "That's horse shit" any way we could.

My sister said one of her friends said it every time he disagreed with her. We thought it was hysterical and continued saying it the rest of the night. On the way home in the car I wanted to get a video of her saying her now famous quote, but she didn't have a good reason to say it. So I figured I could say something that would get her going. Here's the video of the phrase that's now sweeping the nation.



After every Friday night game they have fireworks, and we stayed to enjoy them before heading home.


The next day, we hit Allentown Brew Works for lunch. Great eats and drinks. I had a Hop Explosion and a Bagpiper's Scotch Ale - wow strong stuff, but good! As Mike Myers said, "we have a piper down!"


- Salud!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Woodside Lounge

Summer Mix 2025

Summer Mix 2007