Christmas in Pennsylvania
Hope you're warm and cozy on these chilly winter eves approaching the New Year, enjoying the bowl games as well as some fine libations. I was in ol' Willy Penn's Commonwealth for the Christmas holiday.It was the night before Christmas Eve (or Christmas Eve Eve) and we decided to venture downtown following a hearty evening meal. My niece Mac and her husband Justin were in town from coastal Carolina, having only moved there from California this past summer.
I thought Porter's Pub would be a nice destination for its excellent beer menu and east-coast charm -- a small space with an exposed rock wall. Porter's is famous for its pewter mugs hanging from the ceiling.
"Experience every one of our 60 imported and micro craft brews and you will earn a pewter mug with your own personalized engraving!"It wasn't that crowded, but all the spots were taken at the bar and tables are reserved for eaters. We decided to have a drink there, and see if some spots opened up. Mac and I had one of my favorites a Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale, full of hoppy joyousness! Justin had one of his favs, a PA staple, Yuengling's Lager.
No seats opened up so we decided to head to the "circle" and see what was going on down there. For those of you who don't know, that's a Civil War statue in "Centre Square Easton" that's covered with candle replicas every holiday season.

I suggested Pearly Baker's, but wondered if Mother's Bar & Grill, one of my old stomping grounds, was still in business. It was, so we dropped in to check it out.
When I asked "what they had on draft" I was nearly floored when I heard Yards IPA, an excellent micro-brew from Philadelphia. This time Justin decided to give my "hoppy choice" a try.

We had a great time hanging out and playing songs on the jukebox -- I state for the record that the Latin song selections on the jukebox were not mine! I played lots of classic tunes and even got some Dave Matthews Band in, including "Seven" one of my favorites from their last studio album.
After awhile a DJ took over from the jukebox and the place started to fill up with people dressed for "clubbing" and dancing. We left shortly after, and I was disappointed I didn't get to hear all my tunes -- oh well.
Next morning Pops made breakfast -- eggs, bacon, potatoes and toast!

Christmas Eve was finally here! Later, we dropped in on Linda at Shruty's for a couple drinks before dinner including some very potent egg nog.

Upon arrival back at the house, a stray dog came right up to me as I got out of the car. I checked the tags, and found the name "Darby" and a phone number. I called and told them I found Darby. The owner didn't know Darby was missing, but luckily they were only about a block away.
Christmas Eve also called for the opening of The Mad Elf.

With Darby back among his family, Christmas Day brought relatives and food. Funny how the "younger set" gathered on the sun porch with the music of the season while the "older set" chatted in the quiet of the living room. We all joined together for a festive dinner feast followed by football and lazing about.
Snow finally made it's appearance the day after Christmas (or Boxing Day). Jimmy Joe Pete sent me a photo of The Woodside nestled in the white stuff.

As the snow fell throughout the day, we watched the football games and I was excited to see my Carolina Hop Devils made it to the championship game for my fantasy football league. Although, I was disappointed they postponed the Eagles' game until Tuesday. I was really looking forward to seeing a good snow game that night.

Monday was very laid back, but had a good time watching football that night with Pops and flipping back and forth from the game to "Pawn Stars" and "American Pickers" on the History channel.
It was a good holiday and good to see everyone.
- Buon Natale!
Comments