Halloween is Coming
Halloween is our second favorite holiday and last night we went to the Queen City Ghost & Graveyard tour. I was hoping it would be more about telling ghost stories and walking through old graveyards, but it was more theatrical going from haunted place by bus with actors taking on ghostly personas at each location. Still good Halloween fun.
We went to dinner after at the LaVecchia's Seafood Grille. It was our first visit to the four-star restaurant. They’re a seafood and steakhouse with a funky décor and live music on the weekends. We discovered a new Pinot Noir – new to us – in the Lange Pinot Noir from Oregon. It was very nice. I started with the she crab soup and Lago had the oysters rockefeller. Then Lago got a lobster done LaVecchia style, which is all the meat pulled out and saute’d in a buttery wine sauce over veggies. I had the filet and crab cake. All the food was excellent and so was the service. We asked the waiter to take his time and he did just that. We like to take our time between courses, drink our wine and chat. Much better than getting slammed with one course on top of the other, and wham bam you’re done and didn’t even have time to enjoy it.
Going on the ghost tour reminded me of going up to Salem, Mass. It’s one of my favorite things to do around Halloween. Lago and I went up to Salem back in 2001 and had a great time. The pumpkin ale at the Salem Beer Works is reason enough to go in itself. Around Halloween, Salem is anything and everything Halloween. We didn’t get to go to the big Halloween Ball they have every year, you have to get on the waiting list almost a year in advance. We had a great time and I even showed Lago around Boston too.
Each year around this time we also start watching all our Halloween DVDs. “Sleepy Hollow” is one of our favorites and many times we end up watching it in September or the beginning of October because we can’t wait to watch it. I also like watching some of the old B&W classics like “Arsenic and Old Lace” and “The Ghost Breakers” – I think of these as “daytime movies.” They’re great to watch on a rainy autumn day and save the evening for new classics like “Hellboy,” “From Hell,” “Bram Stoker’s Dracula,” and “Van Helsing.” Yes, I know none of these are fine cinema classics, but they’re great Halloween fun. Back when I was in high school my friends and I were always going to the latest “slasher” movie that seemed to litter the 1980s movie-plexes. Today, I don’t own any of these bloodfests on DVD. We do have the first “Halloween” and all three “Scream” movies, but I can’t remember the last time I watched “Halloween.”
Almost forgot, for those that are into ghosts and ghost hunting, be sure to watch “Ghost Hunters” on the Scifi Channel on Wed. nights. They have a live special Halloween night. Lago wants to stay up and watch the whole thing overnight. We like them because they only show what they capture on video or audio. They don’t employ a bunch of dopey psychics who just walk around and make stuff up. Be sure to check ‘em out - http://www.scifi.com/ghosthunters/.
We went to dinner after at the LaVecchia's Seafood Grille. It was our first visit to the four-star restaurant. They’re a seafood and steakhouse with a funky décor and live music on the weekends. We discovered a new Pinot Noir – new to us – in the Lange Pinot Noir from Oregon. It was very nice. I started with the she crab soup and Lago had the oysters rockefeller. Then Lago got a lobster done LaVecchia style, which is all the meat pulled out and saute’d in a buttery wine sauce over veggies. I had the filet and crab cake. All the food was excellent and so was the service. We asked the waiter to take his time and he did just that. We like to take our time between courses, drink our wine and chat. Much better than getting slammed with one course on top of the other, and wham bam you’re done and didn’t even have time to enjoy it.
Going on the ghost tour reminded me of going up to Salem, Mass. It’s one of my favorite things to do around Halloween. Lago and I went up to Salem back in 2001 and had a great time. The pumpkin ale at the Salem Beer Works is reason enough to go in itself. Around Halloween, Salem is anything and everything Halloween. We didn’t get to go to the big Halloween Ball they have every year, you have to get on the waiting list almost a year in advance. We had a great time and I even showed Lago around Boston too.
Each year around this time we also start watching all our Halloween DVDs. “Sleepy Hollow” is one of our favorites and many times we end up watching it in September or the beginning of October because we can’t wait to watch it. I also like watching some of the old B&W classics like “Arsenic and Old Lace” and “The Ghost Breakers” – I think of these as “daytime movies.” They’re great to watch on a rainy autumn day and save the evening for new classics like “Hellboy,” “From Hell,” “Bram Stoker’s Dracula,” and “Van Helsing.” Yes, I know none of these are fine cinema classics, but they’re great Halloween fun. Back when I was in high school my friends and I were always going to the latest “slasher” movie that seemed to litter the 1980s movie-plexes. Today, I don’t own any of these bloodfests on DVD. We do have the first “Halloween” and all three “Scream” movies, but I can’t remember the last time I watched “Halloween.”
Almost forgot, for those that are into ghosts and ghost hunting, be sure to watch “Ghost Hunters” on the Scifi Channel on Wed. nights. They have a live special Halloween night. Lago wants to stay up and watch the whole thing overnight. We like them because they only show what they capture on video or audio. They don’t employ a bunch of dopey psychics who just walk around and make stuff up. Be sure to check ‘em out - http://www.scifi.com/ghosthunters/.
Comments