Halloween Mix 2006

Each year I update my Halloween Mix. It grew to two CDs a few years ago and it may grow to 3 CDs soon. Last year I created a companion CD of classics from all the classical pieces and movie soundtracks which I had incorporated in small snippets into various tracks. I think it was also last year that I decided to make the first CD more laid back and the second CD more rockin’.

The tracks are listed below, but this does not do it justice since most tracks are peppered with Halloween sound effects and movie clips. However, most of these tracks are available on iTunes for downloading.

One of these years, I may bring “The Martian Boogie” by Brownsville Station back to the Halloween Mix. It appeared in the first couple mixes, but I decided to cut it a few years ago. I mixed in a clip from the original radio broadcast of “The War of the Worlds” which fit in perfectly in the beginning. The track is really long and even when I did have it in the mix it was edited down to four minutes.

I cut “In the Air Tonight” by Phil Collins this year. I thought it kind of dragged down the opening of the second CD. I replaced it with an edited version of “Red Right Hand” by Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds with “Canadian Sunset” by Gene Ammons and “Devil’s Dance (from Witches of Eastwick)” by Gil Shaham & Jonathan Feldman mixed into the opening. If “Red Right Hand” sounds familiar it’s because it was used in all three “Scream” movies and “Hellboy.”

Every year I think, well that’s it I’ve found all the Halloween songs I’m going to find, and then I find another and another. Last year, I stumbled across “Trick or Treat” by Otis Redding and couldn’t believe I had never heard it before. Another new edition this year is “Beautiful People” by Marilyn Manson. His cover of “Sweet Dreams” may be more creepy for Halloween, but it’s too slow for where I wanted to place it in the mix. So I went with the more rockin’ “Beautiful People” which needed no extra Halloween sweetening.

If you're wondering why "Mack the Knife" by Bobby Darin is included in the mix even though it's not very "Halloween-ie." Well... the lyrics taken out of context could be somewhat spooky even though the song is about a loan shark. It's mostly included here because I have a clip from "The Blair Witch Project" included in the beginning of "Mack the Knife." It's the clip from the movie when their tent is being attacked by who knows what and they run from the tent screaming into the darkness. It's a very scary moment in the movie. I think most people either found "The Blair Witch" movie really scary or not scary at all. I found the movie scary, not so much while watching it. It's real scare factor came when you left the theater and thought about it after you got home - that creeped me out big time. But anyway back to the mix. I found it kind of funny to juxtapose the very scary clip from the movie with this bouncy, almost happy-sounding song about a murderous loan shark. So there ya go.

What to drink while listening to the Halloween Mix, you may ask? Well then, I'll tell ya...

For wine, the Halloween Mix goes nicely with the Concha y Toro 2005 Casillero Del Diablo - Cabernet Sauvignon or Chardonnay. BTW, "Casillero Del Diablo" means "the devil's cellar" - now that's Halloween! Please be advised: there's a Pinot Noir out now from Transylvannia. We got it just to try it, but sometimes for six bucks you can go wrong.

For beer, the Halloween Mix pairs well with Pete's Wicked Ale or any of the Octoberfest brews by Sam Adams, Otter Creek, Harpoon or Becks. It also goes well with a traditional Black & Tan - Guinness and Bass. You could go with a pumpkin ale, but I haven't found a bottled pumpkin ale that I liked enough to drink more than one.
Enjoy.



Halloween Mix 2006 - Disc 1
1. Autumn Leaves (Harry Potter Mix) – Morbid Miles Davis
2. Moondance – Van the Invisible Man Morrison
3. Witchcraft – Frightening Frank Sinatra
4. Hell – Shrieking Squirrel Nut Zippers
5. Blue Light, Red Light (Someone's There) – Harry the Horror Connick Jr.
6. You Do Something to Me – Evil Ella Fitzgerald
7. Old Devil Moon – Frightening Frank Sinatra
8. Bad Moon Rising – Creepy Credence Clearwater Revival
9. Werewolves of London – Warren the Warlock Zevon
10. Spirit in the Night – Bloody Bruce Springsteen
11. Baby Did a Bad, Bad Thing – Chris Hell Isaak
12. Superstition – Stevie the Stake Wonder
13. Trick or Treat – Wretched Otis Redding
14. Psycho Killer – Terrifying Talking Heads
15. The Time Warp – Rocky Horror Picture Show
16. Dead Man’s Party – Oingo Boingo the Beheaded
17. Queer – Ghoulish Garbage
18. Vampire Song – Bludgeoning Concrete Blonde
19. Mack the Knife – Devilish Bobby Darin
20. The Addams Family – Vic the Mangler Mizzy



Halloween Mix 2006 - Disc 2
1. Red Right Hand (Sunset Devil Mix) – Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds
2. Bela Lugosi’s Dead – Bauhaus the Banshee
3. Gravedigger – Dastardly Dave Matthews
4. Friend of the Devil (2X Trouble Mix) – The Grateful Dead
5. Brain Stew – Gangrene Green Day
6. Run Like Hell – Putrid Pink Floyd
7. Devil Inside – INXS the Incubus
8. Santa Monica – Everclear the Exorcist
9. Possum Kingdom – House of 1,000 Toadies
10. Bullet with Butterfly Wings – Smashing Pumpkins
11. Halloween – Dastardly Dave Matthews & his Barbaric Band
12. Only Happy When it Rains – Ghoulish Garbage
13. The Witch (Season Mix) – The Cult
14. Wicked Garden – Stonehenge Stone Temple Pilots
15. The Beautiful People – Murderous Marilyn Manson
16. Closer – Nine Inch Nails in Your Eye
17. Highway to Hell – AC/DC the Sorcerer
18. Sympathy for the Devil – The Rotting Rolling Stones

Comments

Anonymous said…
I really do think that you should have included the Monster Mash on your Halloween mix. I mean, really - that is like celebrating Christmas without a tree...
Anonymous said…
Your halloween mixes have always been your best!

Popular posts from this blog

New Woodside Lounge

Summer Mix 2025

Summer Mix 2007